Image from Being Liberal fan page/Facebook

WELCOME! Good to have you here.


You have power. Use it wisely. Make it matter.

At Lucy Left you're encouraged to leave comments, keeping this request in mind: Say what you mean and mean what you say, just don't say it mean. Lucy's not a fan of vitriol. This is a place to find information and opinion, a place to have a laugh now and then and to feel less alone in the political madness.

Be well, speak up for what is right and true (even if your voice shakes), and come back soon!

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Start Spreadng the News . . .

Not really up to writing today, sounding like I have the old-fashioned croup.  I cough like some jungle animal I haven't identified yet.  Still, I want to give a quick shoutout to New York mayor-elect Bill De Blasio.  By the time I'm done here, the new mayor will have been sworn in by former president Bill Clinton.  

 

What I want to say is that De Blasio's election gave me some hope—in terms of seeing a change in the horrifying income inequality in this country.  New York is the high-profile metropolis that not only this country, but the whole world, watches. I believe this new mayor will give the issue the attention it deserves.   De Blasio 's campaign was largely focused on the wide disparity between the have's and have not's.  (The main reason I suppoted John Edwards in the presidential primaries in 2007 was his concern about the "two Americas."  I've been told by people who know him well that he was always committed to healing the income equality divide.  His position was never political schtick. )

 

Mayor Bloomberg did some good things, to be sure. He also wholeheartedly supported and defended the "stop and frisk" policy which essentially amounted to racial profiling.  And  let's not forget, as he begins his term, that De Blasio doesn't have the personal fortune Bloomberg has.  Apparently Bloomberg spent $650 million of his own money on bettering the City he has led.  While commendable, that's chump change in light of his considerable holdings.  So, we will keep that in mind as we celebrate a change of administrations.

 

 I don't share my Beloved's concerns about De Blasio causing the city to become more racially/ culturally divided.  In fact, I think there's hope for narrowing, and even healing, that sad divide between the "two New Yorks." I believe the discontinuation of "stop and frisk" as it has been implemented is a good first step in that direction.

 

The whole family pays a price when a member dedicates him or herself to public service.  It looks like this family is solidly "in this" together.   I think the Mayor has a  good grasp on how it all works and knows some of sacrifices that will be necessary.  To the family, I'd say this will be harder than you can imagine at times, but I believe you're up to it. All the best to the new Mayor and all the De Blasios.

No comments:

Post a Comment