Image from Being Liberal fan page/Facebook

WELCOME! Good to have you here.


You have power. Use it wisely. Make it matter.

At Lucy Left you're encouraged to leave comments, keeping this request in mind: Say what you mean and mean what you say, just don't say it mean. Lucy's not a fan of vitriol. This is a place to find information and opinion, a place to have a laugh now and then and to feel less alone in the political madness.

Be well, speak up for what is right and true (even if your voice shakes), and come back soon!

Saturday, July 13, 2013

"The Sadness Lingers"


http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/13/opinion/blow-the-sadness-lingers.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

This is a compelling message from Charles Blow at The New York Times.  As we wait for the six jurors in the Zimmerman case to do their duty, Mr. Blow gives us food not only for thought, but for our spirits.  I hope this tragic case will be the one, of so many in the past, that will change minds and hearts.  That will motivate grassroots activists to renew the commitment to working hard for gun safety and, yes, for some serious regulation of firearms.  I hope this important case will change the way our law enforcement,  judicial system and culture sees and reacts to young black men.  We tend to fear people who look different than we do.  We make assumptions.  We stereotype.  Worst of all, we make false assumptions and our stereotypes often are far off the mark.  

 

I like to believe I'm free of such biases.  Well, this is a good time to examine that belief.  To recommit to living more mindfully, with greater awareness of my own frailties.  To catch myself when I sink into a lower state of consciousness and enter some crazy, lazy way of thinking about another human, whatever the circumstances.  To notice if I begin to assign cultural myths to any group of unique individuals.

 

Today I send good thoughts to those jurors.  I'm sending thoughts of peace to the parents and brother of Trayvon Martin.  They have been remarkable throughout what has to be an excruciating process.  The statement they released yesterday—in an effort to curb protests, whatever the verdict—was beautifully crafted, and it was a wise thing to do. 

 

I also feel sympathy for George Zimmerman's parents and for his wife.  May this tragedy turn out to be transformational for Zimmerman himself.  May he truly understand the magnitude of his deed, feel it deep in his heart, and in time begin to heal.

 

 If I were on the jury,  I think I'd vote for conviction on the manslaughter charge.  Or even the murder charge, if a review of all the evidence and testimony warrants it.  Since I posted this, I've heard some "legal analysts" on cable news say the murder verdict is warranted, given the body of evidence.  I can't imagine the jury returning a "not guilty" verdict.  But I'm not on the jury, and I'm glad not to be.  It's far easier to be on the outside looking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment