Image from Being Liberal fan page/Facebook

WELCOME! Good to have you here.


You have power. Use it wisely. Make it matter.

At Lucy Left you're encouraged to leave comments, keeping this request in mind: Say what you mean and mean what you say, just don't say it mean. Lucy's not a fan of vitriol. This is a place to find information and opinion, a place to have a laugh now and then and to feel less alone in the political madness.

Be well, speak up for what is right and true (even if your voice shakes), and come back soon!

Friday, December 20, 2013

Letter from John Steinbeck

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/12/america-is-like-that-second-kind-of.html


Ahhhh real letters.  Written on paper, placed in an envelope, stamped,  and sent through the postal service.   I miss them.  Close friends and family would likely tell you my e-mails ARE letters, as I ignore the "acceptable, straight-to-the-point" point of e-messages.  When I finally surrendered and included a minimal amount of texting in my phone plan, they thought they'd be getting shorter messages from me.  Ha!  For this lover of words whose lifeblood is  communicating with people I love, texting is a sacrilege.   I simply cannot, will not, get in step with a drummer playing a tune I cannot recognize.  I refuse to "keep it brief."  If anyone is unwilling to spend time reading a paragraph or two (or three) from me, then I can't believe they value me or my presence in their lives very much. 


At any rate, the linked letter is from author John Steinbeck to his friend Adlai Stevenson, sharing, among other things,  his feelings about Americans' consumer gluttony at Christmas. He states his case far more eloquently than I just did!  Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment